Craigslist etiquette

Hubs has been laid off for a year and a half now, which means that my Pottery Barn/Pottery Barn Kids/Target shopping has taken a serious hit. This sucks. BIG TIME.

The upside to being poor is that I've rediscovered the beauty of Craigslist. I'm not going to lie, I love it. I scan the "for sale" ads looking for wood shit to refinish and live out my ghetto style Pottery Barn fantasy with. It's amazing.

Some people have treasures and think it's crap. Most people have crap and think it's treasures. Either way, I have noticed a pattern emerging. I'm going to call it "Craigslist Etiquette" and I'm here to lay down a few ground rules.

1. This is not a "desk". This is what most people would commonly refer to as a "table". Nobody over 2'8" could use this as a desk. Also, there is only one drawer and no chair. Hence, table.


2. This is not a "carpet". This is what most people would commonly refer to as a "rug". It only covers a small space and is easily portable, unlike carpet which is generally large and affixed. Rug.


3. It's "shabby chic", people...not "shabby sheik" or "shabby chick". Also, just because it's old and nasty doesn't mean it's shabby chic. It just means it's crap.

4. Please don't call your "dresser" a "chest of drawers". It's not 1935 and nobody knows what you're talking about.

5. It's "wrought iron"...not "rod iron". Just for fun, I Googled "rod iron" and got this as a definition: "Common misspelling of wrought iron". Ha! Even Google thinks you're an idiot.

6. When you list your item price in the title as "$8", and then I click on the link and you're asking "$800 OBO"...that's false advertising, my friend. Nice try.

7. I don't care how much you paid for your beloved treasures when you bought them. I want to know how low you're willing to sell them for NOW. Great, you paid $1600 for it two years ago. Will you take $20 for it now?

8. Seriously. Pictures. Nobody's going to buy your shit without pictures, and they're free to list, so throw some in there. Otherwise you can expect 427 emails that say, "Do you have any pictures you can send me?"

9. If your items's been listed for five months and it hasn't sold, it's probably time to lower the price. Nobody's going to pay $450 for your 1985 oak end table, even if the top lifts off for extra storage.

10. OH. MY. GOD. Post once. Just once. If I delete an item I'm selling, Craigslist makes me wait three days to put it back on the site, but somehow Joe Blow in Chino is able to list the same goddamn bookcase 14 times a day. What the hell?

Sigh. I think that about covers it. Happy shopping!


16 people used their Big Boy words to communicate:

Alicia said...

How about when people call and say they are coming to get something; they actually show up. So tired of selling stuff and having people say they are coming, waiting around, and they NEVER show!

Kiersten said...

This post made me laugh. I've never used Craig's List, but still, it was funny. :) (Also, I know this is somewhat random, but the comment thing at the bottom that says "people used their big boy words to communicate", that made me smile as well)
<3 Kiersten

Sussudio said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adam Cicco said...

I happen to know that one of the greatest wrestling tag teams of the 80's were "The Garage Sale Junkies" featuring Rod Iron & The Shabby Sheik.

Cato said...

You're awesome. I bet Craigslist would appreciate a copy of this.

Unknown said...

You gotta post this on craigslist... I'd vote for it for the "best of CL"...

Drea said...

New reader here.
I loved the entry and the way you write. I'll be back! :D

Tiffany Barry said...

Cracking up plain and simple! Thank you for sharing!

-Tiffany with Will Write 4 Food
http://tiffanywillwrite4food.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

oh girl.. i SOO LOVE this post
Craigslist can be a pain the butt...
thanks for postin im your new follower

Elisabeth said...

:))) Post more!!!! I haven't laughed so much in a long time. I've been applying for jobs on craigslist and it always annoys me how often things are misspelled.

Ron said...

Can you post more please? I mean, I know you don't have anything else to do right now...right? Am I right?

dancemom said...

Pure awesomeness!!! I had to share this with my husband and he laughed as much as I did. He's a craigslist addict and agreed with every word.

lunettesdesoleilparis said...

Robe Herve Leger

sac louis vuitton homme

Lunettes de soleil prada

paschervente.fr

roshan said...

arn provide a good seo serices for our client and 100% satisfaction.

fifa-coin said...


For additional info on your Ps3 4, look at GameSpot's past insurance.Capcom just isn't intending to keep their twelve-monthly Astound celebration in 2010, the author features validated. It's been jogging the big event, that's built to display the yearly lineup, since 2009.This season we've been likely to be considering bulletins about various other situations or otherwise not at situations in any way. So there is not a Intrigue designed this year, explained Capcom staffer Sven on the Capcom Unity forums. Capcom will, nevertheless, end up being participating in E3, Comic-Con, along with PAX. Capcom is currently implementing Xbox 360 system, Ps3, Computer, along with Nintendo wii console Oughout versions in the well-liked Nintendo 3ds venture Citizen Wicked: Revelations, and also Capcom experienced Yoshinoro Ono presented the actual studio's latest game, Deep-down, in Sony's Ps Four headline last week.
Fifa 14 coins

Buy fifa 14 coins

fifa-coin said...


Here is mentioned think back in the initial RBI Baseball, incidentally...Major league baseball features registered a new Tweets are the cause of the sport from rbigame.Insane, proper?Panasonic just not too long ago introduced it's cloud-based sport buffering program, Ps3 Now, and right after up on its offer to produce a small experiment with in The month of january.Email messages appealing pick customers have started arriving.Presently there won't appear to be considerably rhyme or perhaps reason to the procedure, however, you might want to keep the mobile phone useful if you want to receive it straight away.
Fifa 15 coins PS

Fifa 15 coins XBOX